The margin of victory was exceptionally tight,
Noticias Argentinas reported, with the motion
carried by just one vote. Some clubs had been
seeking a delay to the season’s restart, with a
number of their players set to be missing on
Argentina’s national under-23 side will be in
action in Colombia from January 18 to February
9, with the Albiceleste facing the hosts, Chile,
Ecuador and Venezuela in a key qualifying
tournament for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Amid the dispute, a row erupted between the
Superliga’s authorities and Argentine football’s
governing body, AFA, with both sides criticising
the other for their take on the ‘club v country’
New Boca Juniors coach Miguel Ángel Russo
said Friday that the decision was “not ideal” for
clubs but that it “changes nothing,” adding that
all teams have had the same amount of days to
Speaking Thursday, the Superliga’s president, Mariano Elizondo, confirmed that officials were investigating demand for international broadcast rights for the league.
““We always try to generate more resources
for our clubs. When we started two years ago,
we didn’t even have sponsors, and today there
are 12,” he said.
Elizondo said broadcast rights for Argentine
top-flight football had never gone out to tender
on international markets and that officials were
keen to gauge the level of interest.
Some reports on Friday said the league had
asked interested parties to pay US$5,000 to receive a bid package, including terms and conditions, with bidding open from January 10.
“The international rights for Argentine
football have never gone out to tender, it is the
first time,” said Elizondo.
According to Diario Popular, the Superliga is
seeking to bring in around US$15 million a year
through international broadcast rights and
“other commercial” ventures.